7.25.2011

pizza lovin': Franny's

What's better than pizza and wine? That's right, nothing; well except really good pizza and really good wine. Once a month I'll be seeking out a New York restaurant to enjoy a pie and a glass. Occasionally I'll even attempt to make my own pizza. To kick-start this wonderful journey of pizza gastronomy, I chose Franny's, located in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

First, you should know my background with pizza. Growing up, my mother made her own pizza, completely from scratch. Freshly made dough, the sauce was a puree of roasted tomatoes from the garden, and although she still has yet to make her own mozzarella, I'm sure she is up for the challenge. Basically, I love pizza. The simpler (just tomato sauce, cheese, and basil) and more rustic, the better.

Back to Franny's; dinner started off with a glass of white and appetizers, then slowly transitioned to a full body, bold red to enjoy with the pizza. I can't say that I loved the appetizers;  1. a plate of swordfish, thinly slices radishes and parsley lightly dressed in olive oil and 2. fried green tomatoes. Good, but nothing to write home about. The glass of white, a 2010 Alois Lageder Muller-Thurgau Dolomiti from Trentino Alto Adige, Italy was recommended by the waitress, and it was fabulous. Well balanced, and reminiscent of a Riesling with flowers and honeysuckle, balanced by the wine's acidity.



After an unimpressive first course, I was skeptical about the pizza. All skepticism left after my first bite though. The crust was thin in the middle, light and fluffy around the edges, and the sauce was perfect. Fresh, zesty, perfect for a summer pizza. The mozzarella was not overdone as it often is, but more basil would have been welcome. Overall, this was a fantastic pizza! And the wine!! Ooooooo the wine! Again with the waitress' advice, we settled on  the 2008 Foradori Teroldego Rotaliano, and like the white wine, from Trentino Alto Adige, a North Eastern region of Italy. A dry bold red wine that I cannot wait to drink again.



Next time, I'm skipping the appetizers and going straight to a pizza and a bottle.

Side note; It's get even better! Franny's is an environmentally conscious company, sourcing organic/local/real food. Read about it here.

1 comment:

  1. Meg

    Side note on sustainability is great. However the link did not show up.

    Great review

    ReplyDelete