7.02.2011

wine of the night: 2009 Picpoul de Pinet



Today I officially jumped on board the trendy kale chip train. You have probably heard of kale chips by now, most likely from your friends who shop at farmer's markets and are members of CSA's. I like to believe the kale chi craze started like this:

"So we got a bunch of kale with our CSA box today. WTF am I supposed to do with this?" Then sampling a bit of the kale, "Eww." And after a quick google search; "I know, I'll just coat the kale in some oil and bake it into 'chips,' I'm awesome!"



They may be trendy; you may feel like a total hippie when you make them, and yes, you will see small boxes of kale chips for $10 at your grocery store (obviously marketed to the dimwitted, a bundle of kale cost $2), but they are delicious and are fabulous with the right wine white.


2009 Domaine Guillemarine Picpoul de Pinet, $10.99


This afternoon I baked up some kale chips with a touch of coconut oil and sea salt and enjoyed a light, acidic, and mineral white wine of the Picpoul de Pinet varietal. This Domaine Guillemarine Picpoul was so pleasant with a salty snack on a warm, relaxing summer day. I love the mineral, earthy flavors, and there is sharpnessto the wine (although not harsh in the least)  that clears your palate, readying you for the next bite (or chip).

I recommend drinking this wine with food, something salty in natural, perhaps as you are preparing for July 4th feasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment