7.10.2011

wine pairing: sauvignon blanc with roasted peppers



Today I whipped up a bit of wasabi arugula pesto to serve with a couple roasted Italian peppers topped with gruyere and cheddar. It was a light and flavorful lunch that I paired with two Sauvignon Blancs. Both 2010 vintage from California. The Teira Woods Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc is from the Dry Creek Valley and the Longboard Vineyards wine is from the Russian River Valley.


Starting with the food; this dish was incredibly easy to prepare. I made the pesto in the morning to allow time for the flavors to blend, but you could also prepare it right before serving. I simply blended wasabi arugula, pine nuts, walnuts (for the omega-3's and because I was low on pine nuts), garlic cloves, shredded parmesean cheese and salt. I then added enough olive oil in order for the mixture to blend nicely. The Italian peppers were first browned lightly using direct heat from the stove burners, then sliced lengthwise and gently filled with grated cheese. I mixed a raw gruyere and raw cheddar, but you could be more creative. I then roasted the peppers in the oven at 375 until the cheese melted, broiling afterward until the cheese browned just a touch. Once the peppers are done, let them sit for a minute or two and top with the pesto. Easy Peasy, right!!

2010 Longboard Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, $19.99 and 2010 Teira Woods Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, $14.99

Now for the wine tasting! Both bottles are from California Wine Merchants. The Longboard Sauvignon Blanc is fresh, light, and more acidic that the Teira, which is softer but still a bright wine. Although I liked both wines, I recommend the Teira for a dish like this one. The peppers and pesto have a ton of flavors, but many of these flavors are delicate and some subtle. The Teira really compliments the dish, while the zesty Longboard seemed to wash those flavors away, and even clash with the spicy wasabi arugula. I throughly enjoyed the Teira with the wasabi flavor! And this wine has enough acid to cut through the oils of the cheese and pesto without overpowering the dish.

Cheers All!

2 comments:

  1. Meg, what exactly is wasabi arugula? Is it a type of arugula, or is it mixed with wasabi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a type of arugula. I bought a bag of the stuff at Trader Joe's. It sounded interesting and made for a tasty pesto with a kick.

    ReplyDelete