6.07.2011

wine pairing: sherried mushrooms with fried egg on toast

I LOVE eggs and red wine together. Eggs poached in red wine, scrambled eggs with a glass, really any combination. So tonight I decided to do a red wine pairing with a recipe I found on Food & Wine's website; Sherried Mushrooms with Fried Eggs on Toast. A very simple recipe that I mostly followed; I have white-bread-phobia so I instinctively used a organic sprouted bread instead (which I recommend because I'm pretty sure white bread kills). Food & Wine recommended "an earthy red, such as Pinot Noir," which sounded appropriate for the mushrooms, so off to the wine store I went for a couple of earthy wines.

























I ended up with the two bottles above. The 2009 Stafford Hill Pinot Noir from Oregon ($25) and the 2009 La Vigne en Veron Chinon (100% Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley, $12). Both wines were enjoyable but the Chinon paired much better with the dish. The Pinot Noir was too acidic and the fruity flavors overpowered the simple nature of egg and mushrooms on toast.















With that said, I did enjoy the Pinot with a bit of dark chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment