6.02.2011

wine pairing: tilapia with escarole and lemon-pepper oil

The heat has finally broke in New York City but it's still warm and a great evening for preparing a light fish and drinking a cool white wine. Today I used a recipe from foodnetwork.com; Tilapia with Escarole and Lemon-Pepper Oil. The recipe was accurately placed under Dinner Rush Recipes on the front page of the website. I typically do not steam fish, although I don't know why; it's healthier than sautéing, easy and delicious! I tasted 3 wines with the dish; a 2010 Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, a 2010 Chardonnay from South Africa, and a 2009 Dry Riesling from Germany.













Wine Tasting #1: 2010 Casa Lapostolle Sauvignon Blanc from Rapel Valley (right)
Although I like the wine, I cannot recommend it for this dish. The flavors clashed; I found the mineral and grapefruit notes of the wine were not pleasant with the tilapia.
$12.00

Wine Tasting #2: 2010 Excelsior Chardonnay from South Africa (middle)
This Chardonnay pairs nicely with the tilapia dish. It's a bright and fresh Chardonnay, very enjoyable especially for the upcoming hotter summer days.
$7.99

Wine Tasting #3: 2009 Selbach Dry Riesling from Germany (left)
Tonight's winner! This Riesling complimented all flavors of this meal. Everything tasted better with this wine; the escarole, tilapia, potatoes, and lemon. This wine took a good dinner and made it great. After the tasting, I filled my glass full of wine#3.
$13.99

No comments:

Post a Comment